MAC Hanson and Bistro Award-winning singer Sally Darling continues the run of her new show Love, Lust & Longing at Don’t Tell Mama on Wednesday, July 5 at 7 PM and Sunday afternoon, July 9 at 5 PM. NiteLifeExchange had Six Questions to ask her about how she goes about putting together her shows with musical director Matthew Martin Ward which have quickly set a high standard for excellence in the genre.
1. NiteLifeExchange – You’re producing well-thought-out, highly effective cabaret. What is the progression for you from idea to show?
Sally Darling – Sometimes the idea for the theme comes first, sometimes it emerges from the music Matthew and I are assembling. Then we build the program around it. Mind you, if there’s a particular song we love, I manipulate the theme to fit the song! When the song list is complete, I start writing the text.
2. NLE – With regard to future shows, how many others do you already have in mind?
3. NLE – What are the ways you go about sourcing material for your projects/shows?
4. NLE – When selecting songs to be incorporated, do you bring a finished song list to your musical directer or bring a selection of possibilities?
SD – The song list develops as we create the show. I suggest, Matthew suggests, and so on. We are so on a wave length, that we’ve yet to disagree about a song!
5. NLE – I find it refreshing that you call it text and not patter?
SD – Patter indicates an easy, often glib, flow of words, i.e., a salesman or con artist. Text —or script— is a result of careful composition.
6. NLE – You have two more shows, this Wednesday, July 5th, and Sunday, July 9th at Don’t Tell Mama. When your audience is leaving a performance, what would you like to know they’re taking home with them?
Click here for more information and tickets.